Review: Stone Fired Artisan Pizza, Edinburgh (Newhaven)

 I GOT excited a few weeks back when I saw the signage for a new pizza joint opening in Newhaven
whilst en route to the gym. The branding really stood out, so I’d casually walk by in anticipation as the shop transformed from a tired Chinese takeaway into the swish new Stone Fired Artisan Pizza. A quick Google search revealed they’re an already established business with a shop in Prestonpans and, most importantly, the reviews looked promising. Naturally, I’d have to find out for myself.

Now, the pizza game in Leith is strong so I was keen to find out how the new kid on the block would grab a slice (see what I did there) of the market.  The menu featured the classics alongside some quirky options such as Philly cheesesteak with a garlic butter base, and a Bolognese pizza; the latter I
will get to shortly. There are also pasta options, a children’s menu and a range of cheesecakes to satisfy your sweet tooth. Worth noting here that Stone Fired 
is takeaway only and available via Deliveroo,Uber Eats and their own delivery service, as well as collection.                                                             
I was pleased to meet the owner, Lucy, during my visit and grabbed a quick chat to find out about the company. The first thing she said was, “We make everything in house,” and that the all-important dough was fermented for between 48-72 hours – sounding good so far.

As I mentioned, the Bolognese (£13) took my fancy and boy was it a pizza-fied twist on the classic version. I admired that the meat had a slightly crisp texture to it and bags of flavour from the decadent sauce. It also had the best cheese pull that I now regret not filming! I loved watching the talented pizzaiolo handle the goods with care, gently crisping up the sides as he skilfully kissed the edges against the 350°C flame. 

Sarah went for the tandoori chicken (£12), which I was delighted to see on a menu in this city. It’s a
topping I’ve found lacking in Edinburgh craft pizza places. It reminds me of munching a chicken tikka pizza from Spice of Life on the way home after a drunken night out back home in Kirkcaldy.  There was a little more refinement here, of course, with good quality chicken you could actually taste in harmony with the intermingling spices, a generous amount of fresh peppers, and the right amount of chilli heat that were tamed by the milky mozzarella. 

We split a side of chicken tenders for an additional fiver, which again sort of brought that dirty pizza 
chain takeaway vibe but done well, with a trio of generously sized hunks coated in that delectable Kentucky-style coating that was splendidly cooked.

Service was excellent and my server, Dina, confidently answered my nosey food blogger questions with the grace of someone who really believed in the offerings here. It certainly brings a bit of theatre being able to stand at close proximity as your dough is hand stretched, topped and then swiftly cooked in just a few minutes as you look on
salivating.

The fundamentals are right here for Stone Fired to be a success in this area, despite stiff competition. 
 Without great dough, you simply ain’t going to have a great pizza but they get it spot on here with the care, attention and time dedicated to the craft.  Enhanced with house-made pasta options, a kids menu and sweet treats, the ingredients are there to offer something for everyone. As I leave, Lucy informs me they’re in the process of opening up another two branches – one in Gilmerton (now open), the other in Blackhall – someone is going to be busy!
 

Web: Stonefired.co.uk                               

Instagram: @stonefired_pizza

Phone: (0131) 248 7554

Address: 6 Anchorfield, Edinburgh, EH6 4UJ  

Open: 4 p.m. - 10 p.m. for delivery and collection

Comments