Review: Buck's Bar, Edinburgh

PHIL’S FOOD WORLD has been named in the top 15 Edinburgh food blogs by Feedspot this week. It gave me a jolt of motivation to do something I’ve been meaning to for a while – blog more. Those of you familiar with my food tastes will know I LOVE fried chicken (who doesn’t?), which takes me to the recently opened Buck’s Bar.

There are currently three Buck's venues in Glasgow, with this opening on Grindlay Street, just next to the Usher Hall, being the group’s first venture in the capital. Such has been the early success that it was announced recently that a second unit is to open on Hanover Street later this year.

It was a sunny Sunday as we took the newly expanded tram from Newhaven to Princes Street, and I don’t remember the city centre being as busy outside of August. We had initially tried to get a table at Mowgli without success. It’s getting nigh on impossible to get a table anywhere at the weekend without a booking. Luckily, we rocked up at Buck’s where a determined staff member asked us to “Come back in 20-30 mins and I’ll sort you out.” Thankfully, he was true to his word.

The theme is American dive bar, which I like purely because I cannot think of anywhere else in Edinburgh with that vibe. That and it took me back to my band days, traipsing through to Glasgow on a Wednesday night to impose our brand of indie music to the fine people out west. It’s a fifty-cover venue that offers chicken with waffles, wings, and vegetarian alternatives alongside a comprehensive range of buttermilk chicken burgers. Drinks-wise there are a few standard beer options, as well as specials (Pilot on this occasion) with plenty of spirit options, an appealing cocktail list and a small wine section.

I ordered the Gravy Train (£15.90) with salt and chilli fries (you can choose between slaw or fries for the stated price). A giant slab of breaded chook arrived and my initial reaction was that there’s no way in hell I’m polishing this beast off – challenge accepted. The patty was as succulent as it was crispy with the delicious gravy providing needed lubrication and a healthy dose of umami. The cheese almost brought a tang of lactic relief with the fresh crunch of iceberg lettuce providing further aid. It also included a couple of deliciously nutty hash browns that I adored. The only issue was I’d have liked more of the chicken sauce so I could dunk the sandwich in. The accompanying chips were good and plentiful with a welcome sprinkling of spring onions and fresh chilli. I added a blue cheese dip for a further £1 that was creamy and rich. And yes, I did manage to finish it!

Sarah opted for the classic buttermilk fried chicken at £11. Three pieces the size of a child’s hand
arrived, well-seasoned and thoroughly enjoyable. Conveniently, there’s a shelf of hot sauces you can sample free of charge. Needless to say, Sarah had fun experimenting with the varying degrees of heat, expertly advised by our server. I was pleased she couldn’t eat it all so I could take it home for supper.

The standard of service was excellent throughout. It was clear they knew the product and enjoyed providing their brand of hospitality to what was a diverse customer range. More importantly, they also knew how to pick the right tunes, for my taste anyway.

I really enjoyed the Buck’s Bar experience. The, grub was great, the service impeccable and the atmosphere most definitely memorable. What more could you ask for? Other than more gravy that is! I really should blog more...


Check out a great list of Edinburgh food bloggers here on Feedspot


Web: bucksbar.co.uk

Instagram: @Bucks.bar

Phone: (0131) 202 8181

Address: 32/34 Grindlay Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9AP

Open seven days from noon until midnight.

Comments