Review: Chez Jules, Edinburgh

 

Chez Jules did a smashing job with their social media channels throughout lockdown. I’d managed to shed a stone as a result of not eating out or going for a sly pint, although I have no intention of learning my lesson. Being furloughed also gave me way too much time to compile a mental list of places to eat and this Hanover Street bistro was the perfect place to start piling on the pounds.

Their dirt-cheap lunches, seafood platters and takeaway wines practically had me salivating over my phone.  Sarah had made me a promise not to go without her, which was made hard earlier in the week when a friend asked if I fancied it; I gritted my teeth and politely said we should go some other time. 

The team were very thorough COVID-wise with temperature checks on arrival and staff ensuring all track and trace procedures were followed before bums were on seats.  The tables are adequately spaced, and the toilets ran with a one out, one in set up. Food and drink are served in disposable plates with recyclable cutlery (you can bring your own!) to be extra cautious.

The steak frites was what I was after.  Priced at just £5.90, you do have to wonder how they make any money on it, especially in city centre premises, but, hell, the venue has been here since 1994, so I guess they know what they’re doing.

We began with a bonus tray of goodies including a pot of pickles, baguette, a delicious chicken liver pate and a fresh salad. We added a couple of glasses of their decent house red which was a ripe, carignan/grenache blend from the Languedoc-Roussillon region, an ideal afternoon sipper, and we read over some of the scribblings on a giant chalk board that dominated the small area by the bar.

The skirt steak had been given a perfect short sear in a hot pan for maximum char/blushing centre; the meat was rested well to lock in those juices. A huge portion of fries were crunchy and moreish, but my favourite part was the sublime peppercorn sauce that was just the right balance of spice, creaminess and a warm note of brandy on the finish. French fare at its simple finest.

You aren’t going to find better value for a sit-in lunch for under £6. I did question how good it would be, but it was an excellent feed all round. I can’t praise the staff enough for their attention to detail. There are many city centre restaurants that charge considerably more and don’t deliver to this standard.  Be sure to give them a follow on social media – if this piece doesn’t convince you, that will!


Phone: (0131) 226 6992

Address: 109 Hanover Street, Edinburgh, EH2 1DJ

Open: Sun - Thurs noon - 11 p.m. (lunch noon - 4 p.m.)
            Fri - Sat noon - midnight (lunch noon - 4 p.m.)

Comments