Review: Berger & Stak, Edinburgh

WE CAN GO out to eat again! Hooray! Sarah was getting her hair done in the Bruntsfield area of Edinburgh, so I thought I’d potter around for a change of scenery. After all, I’d spent the whole of lockdown in my beloved Leith. I work in Bruntsfield and had peered into Berger & Stak on Gillespie Place numerous times when passing by; I was rather intrigued.  

As you probably guessed, it’s a burger and steak joint with the name being the Urdu translation. While there is very little info online, it opened just over a year ago and appears to be a family-run affair. We were the first diners of the evening and, like most of us will initially find, it was a little weird being out again. 

A very courteous waiter greeted and seated us, confidently running through the concept of the menu as we settled. I promptly ordered the Berger special (£13.95) which comprised a flame grilled 6oz Scotch beef patty with hash brown, caramelised onion, turkey rashers, and house relish and cheese, all housed in a brioche bun. This was a good burger: the slightly smoky beef was quality, and the hash brown actually tasted of potato. The onions were sweet, and though the turkey rashers added a hint of smokiness, I’m not sure if they really enhanced the burger much.  My pet hate with burgers is when the bun disintegrates in your hand, but this effort held firm. I opted for French fries over steak cut chips and found them crispy and grease-free.

Sarah and I are fond of a buttermilk chicken burger, which is what she ordered. Priced at £13.95, this was a real beast of a portion.  The chicken was still juicy with a crunchy exterior, while the cheese was perfectly melted with the crunch of fresh lettuce rounding off a treat of a burger. Her steak-cut chips were crispy enough, but perhaps could have done with another 30 seconds in the fryer.

We added a trio of sauces for an extra £2.50, which included a tasty garlic mayo, a fiery, slightly sweet Scotch bonnet and a jalapeƱo and lime effort that resembled a lime pickle. I  had to ask what  naga was as I’d never heard of it so we were kindly given a sample. It’s a variety of chilli and it was a real highlight: it started with a robust smoky taste with a touch of fruit before the heat gradually kicked in. Bloody delicious.

Service was a definite strength at Berger & Stak. Super friendly and genuine, staff really knew the menu and were extremely hospitable.

It was such a relief to be out again after lockdown. I had no preconceived opinion of Berger & Stak but was impressed by their burgers and service in particular. This place is perfect for students or locals alike and I wouldn’t hesitate to visit again, especially to sample more of that tasty naga sauce.



Web: Facebook.com/BergerandStak/
Instagram: @bergerandstak
Phone: (0131) 281 6846
Address: 8 Gillespie Pl, Edinburgh, EH10 4 HT

Open: Weds-Mon 5pm - 10.30pm, closed Tuesday.

Comments