Review: Meall Reamhar, The Four Seasons Hotel, Perthshire


IT IS ALL too easy to book a cheap flight and ignore what we have on our doorstep. As we rolled into the Four Seasons Hotel in St Fillan’s, the breathtaking views over Loch Earn reminded me of just how beautiful Scotland is. After a long car journey, the first port of call was the beer garden to further examine that view and bask in the glorious sunshine. Only then I can turn my attention to dinner.

The hotel’s restaurant (open in the evening throughout May-September), Meall Reamhar, holds a respectable two AA Rosettes and takes full advantage of the panoramic view of the loch.  The three-star independent hotel is famed for having the Beatles stay over in their heyday, as they needed a place to hide from adoring fans whilst performing in Dundee. I couldn’t help but picture John, Paul, George and Ringo chatting outside admiring the vistas, having a beer and smoking a spliff or two.

My meal kicked off with a blue cheese souffle (£8). 
I've got a feeling it was a twice-baked (nothing wrong with that) effort judging by the structure of it. It was light in texture and enjoyable with an identifiable blue cheese flavour. However, if I order something like this I expect a full-on cheesy snog rather than a peck on the cheek. There was a warm creamy sauce ideal for dipping the souffle into for lubrication. Good effort technically; it just needed a bit more of blue stuff.

Sarah tackled the pulled ham hock, sautèd potatoes, roasted shallot with garden pea velouté (£9). Please, Let it Be good. The pea soup was fresh and summery, harmonising with the saltiness of the tender ham. The addition of fresh peas was a welcome one with the tang of shallot working well with the other goings on.  The potatoes added a bit of substance to it.

I fancied the guinea fowl for my main.  It can be a tough bird to cook, as it dries out easily.  The meat cookery was to be commended. The breast had a beautiful charred, crispy skin and the interior was wonderfully moist. No water baths involved, I’d bet. The confit leg, rich in the fat it was cooked in, flaked from the bone and offered a contrast of meat. I was a bit dubious about the billed citrus segments as it’s not my thing, but they did cut the richness of the game bird. The little fondants were slightly nutty and fluffy on the inside, with the aniseed flavour from the fennel making it interesting on the palate.  The sage sauce was, unfortunately, a bit wishy washy.

Pan seared rump of lamb, smoked aubergine, mint yoghurt with confit garlic, charred onion and herb oil priced at £21.50, including a share for the Taxman, would Come Together to form Sarah’s main.  The tenderness of the generous slab of lamb demonstrated further meat cookery skill.  The smoked aubergine was handled well but lacked the promised smokiness, while the garlic and mint yoghurt were great accompaniments flavour-wise. Couple of seasoning issues, but I’m sure We Can Work it Out at the table.

My dessert was an outstanding bramble crème brulee. The acidity of the berries tamed the heaviness of the custard with the crunchy top smashing as expected with a whack of my spoon. The accompanying shortbread biscuits were Something truly delightful, with big buttery hits and a sandy texture.

Ordering from the little person’s menu, Sarah tried out the chocolate chip bread and butter pudding. It had been made with croissants which gave it a moreish richness.  I liked that the choc chips were suspended through it rather than just melted in.  It came with a delicious crème de menthe cream to create that classic mint chocolate combo that always reminds me of getting a Cadbury’s mint choc bar after Scouts when I was younger. I could certainly Dig It.

We retreated to our spacious room, which looked over the water before we had to hit the Long and Winding Road home the following day.  The bed was comfy and the shower passed my hotel acid test with flying colours. I don’t think I’d ever get tired of staring out of that window.

People should come from all Across the Universe to witness the exquisite view.  The food was to a satisfying standard, worthy of its award of two AA Rosettes and the hospitality on display was first class. Next time you’re searching for a bargain flight, think about supporting our own independents – we can do hospitality well too, after all.


Phone: (01764) 685 333

Address: The Four Seasons Hotel, St. Fillan's, Perthshire, PH6 2NF









Comments