Out of the Frying Pan... Craig Wood, The Wee Restaurant


I've designed this  Q&A in order to give people an insight into working in the hospitality industry in order to prove that it's not all long hours stuck in a hot kitchen, having no social life and dealing with tricky customers.  Working in hospitality has given me the opportunity to learn essential life skills, travel, meet amazing new people, promote independent businesses and, of course, eat some amazing food - not many careers can offer that!  To help me paint the picture, I'll be catching up with a variety of different people to show just how diverse and rewarding life in food and drink can be.  

First up, I'm grateful to chef Craig Wood from The Wee Restaurant for giving me his time.  Craig and wife Vicki now have two restaurants, one in North Queensferry and the other in Edinburgh. Craig tells me about life as a chef/restaurateur:

Chef Q & A So, tell me how and why you became a chef?

Working part-time while studying for a business degree at Napier University. I fell in love with the buzz of a busy professional kitchen. Really enjoyed the military-style hierarchy and discipline.

Run me through your career.  Any particular highlights?

Pic courtesy of The Wee Restaurant
I have been fortunate enough to work in some great restaurants over the years and picked up some great experience. I started working part-time in a large kitchen under a head chef who had a great career working in Claridge’s and some of the best kitchens in London. A real old school character who ran a very organised kitchen. After completing my degree I realised sitting in an office just wasn’t going to be for me – loved the buzz of the kitchen too much. I took myself off to work in The Scandic Hotel in Edinburgh under a couple of French chefs who spoke little English. They were amazing chefs who had worked in many Michelin star restaurants in France. This was a real apprenticeship for me – very intense and not for the faint-hearted.

After gaining experience from my French apprenticeship, I applied for a few jobs in Michelin star restaurants. I got lucky and managed to get into The Airds Hotel in Port Appin working for the Allen family. This small family-run hotel was fantastic as it really focused on great local seafood and seasonal homegrown produce. Stints followed at the fine dining restaurant at Loch Lomond Golf Club, Hadrian’s Restaurant under Martin Wishart and the Crinan Hotel (voted best seafood hotel in UK in its day).

Working in Restaurant Martin Wishart when it was just a small kitchen on the day Martin received his first Michelin Star was a real highlight. This was an integral part of my career working alongside Martin, producing brilliant food as part of a three-man team, but also learning about how running a small business works as well. Executive chef at Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh followed by a couple of seasons on the Royal Scotsman luxury train, Opening The Hallion Private Members Club in Edinburgh, exec chef of The Outsider & Apartment Restaurants. Working for a few weeks in Chicago as a stager – Charlie Trotters Restaurant – who at the time was one of the best restaurants in the US / world (three star Michelin). Opening my own restaurant in North Queensferry

What do you think you’d be doing if you weren’t a chef/restaurateur?

Being a forces kid. I have to say I got pretty close to joining the Armed Forces.

The Wee Restaurant is known for championing local produce. Why do you think we have the best produce and what local ingredient is a particular favourite of yours?

Sea bass with asparagus en papillote
“Local“ to us is quite a loose term. We have lots of local suppliers all over the country and are always interested to hear about new produce and suppliers that are popping up. In Fife, we are really lucky to have a few suppliers who have become friends over the years and they share the same ethos as us.

I think people in Scotland now compared to when I started cooking are more interested in where their food comes from. They understand the seasons better and respect the work that goes into creating this amazing Scottish produce we have. Asparagus from Eassie Farm at Glamis or Myreside Farm in Angus, great beef from our butchers Henderson’s in Glenrothes, locally brewed Beer from Inner Bay Brewery – these people are all passionate about their product and you can taste the difference. We are the same; we take great produce, don’t mess around with it too much, prepare and cook with passion and care. Vikki, my wife, used to say to me “aren’t you worried about someone stealing your recipes/ideas”? My answer is always the same – that they can have the recipe but unless you make it with the same understanding of the product, care and passion then it won’t taste the same!

Tell me how you came to own your own restaurant? When did you know you were ready for the challenge?

I didn’t really to be honest. I never had any desire to own my own restaurant. We opened the restaurant in North Queensferry in 2006 by accident almost. Vikki was pregnant with child number three (Innes) and we were looking for a house with an extra bedroom. We saw the house there and decided to go have a look. A friend of mine mentioned that at one point this had been a restaurant (in the adjoining buiding). The house was nice but attached to it was a space where the restaurant had previously operated. At that point, our imagination started to wonder whether we could make this work as a business, as well as a home. Things snowballed and a month later we were in the house planning to open the restaurant – crazy days! I was working full-time in my existing job, coming home and setting up things for the new restaurant. When we did open in March 2006 we had a two week old baby to add to the mix – we didn’t get much sleep!!

Obviously now you have a Wee Restaurant in Edinburgh, as well as North Queensferry.
What were the difficulties in opening another restaurant whilst still running a successful one?

Although it was VERY stressful, I think having had the experience of opening North Queensferry was key. We knew more about running the business and had learned from our mistakes. We got the keys and had Ecryone lined up to do the work, everything on standby ready to go. We worked crazy hours during that set-up period; it’s amazing how little sleep you can survive on! We were lucky to have a great team working in NQ to support us and allow us to spend our time in Edinburgh. Three weeks after getting the keys we opened!

How do you divide your time between them now?

Crispy egg with East Coast Cured charcuterie
I have a head chef in each restaurant and a team to support them. I’m in the kitchen to work with them when it’s busy or staff are on holiday, and when we change the menus to show them how to prepare the new dishes. I love working in the kitchen still and think it would be hard to step back completely, but I also love disappearing for a game of golf once everything is organised!

If you could have dinner with a celebrity, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Difficult question.  I’m a big football fan so possibly Sir Alex Ferguson although this could be expensive if I was paying for the wine as I know he likes the expensive stuff!

If you could go to any restaurant in the world for dinner tomorrow, where would it be and why?

Ile de Re in France on the Port at La Flotte.  The food isn’t great but the family all love it there.

Who are your culinary heroes?

Marco Pierre White was an inspiration to us all those years ago. I also like Rick Stein in terms of his simple approach to cooking. Raymond Blanc has an incredible passion and I love his cooking. On a more personal level Nick Ryan, who recently passed away, ran the Crinan Hotel for over 40 years. He was charismatic, intelligent had a great knowledge of the catering and the hotel industry, and was always there if I had anything to ask him. A very funny man who always made me laugh.

How do you relax away from the kitchen?

Family of three kids and my wife Vikki keep me busy outside work. Walking the dogs, playing golf and watching my team Hearts FC (not always relaxing)

Do you have music playing in the kitchen? If so, what?

Yep, normally just stick the radio on. A few of the young lads in the kitchen moan if it's Radio 2, but I like all music so normally keep it random.

What’s the best thing about the food scene in Scotland? How has it changed since you opened?

Cheeseboard from I.J. Mellis
Lots of places popping up. Restaurants are changing the way we eat and the traditional format is shifting to a more modern, lighter approach with a more informal dining experience commonplace. When I worked in Edinburgh years ago there was only a few restaurants that were any good – now we are lucky to have a greater choice. Although people should be aware that there aren’t a lot of us small independents restaurants in Edinburgh left so please come and support us – we need you!!!!

What sort of food do you eat away from the restaurant?

Very mixed. I like informal restaurants, love seafood and sharing food and I really enjoy spicy food, too. As a chef we live on a lot of sandwiches, so I love good bread and charcuterie, cheese and maybe some wine.

What is your least favourite thing to cook and why?

Brussel Sprouts – enough said!!!

How can we encourage young people into the trade and, just as importantly, keep them there?

Work life balance is important to all our employees and we are always looking at ways to improve this. Attracting young people into the catering industry has become more difficult. I strongly believe that a YTS Apprenticeship like we had in the ‘90s would be excellent. We tend to take on young graduates from college and train them up ourselves and hope they stay long enough to promote them through the ranks within.

You probably don’t get much time to eat out but when you do, where do you go?

I love a few restaurants for different reasons; Ondine for Seafood, Barley Bree in Muthill for superb food, Dusit Thai Restaurant for lovely food and super friendly staff.

Finally, what’s it like working with your wife!?

Challenging !!!! We have our moments but, for the most part, we make a great team. Occasionally sparks fly – amongst other things in my direction!


theweerestaurant.co.uk/

Comments