Recently, I've been experimenting with really top notch products. Sure, they cost a little bit more than your average supermarket versions, BUT the better the quality, the further it goes and the difference really is unbelievable.
I popped into Demijohn on Victoria Street to sample their fine range of vinegars and oils and ended up buying some 12 year old balsamic vinegar (I preferred it to the 25 year old one). The taste was nothing short of outstanding and i instantly had my roasted tomato and red onion dish in mind.
I usually have this as a side to lamb but really wanted to create a lovely salad I could take to work for lunch.
Smoked mackerel has long been a favourite food of mine so I thought I'd use that wonderfully sustainable fish here.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
1/2 Red Onion, quartered
2 Vine Ripened Tomatoes (or best you can afford), quartered
1/2 of a Beetroot, cut into chunks
2 Garlic Cloves (whole)
12 year old Balsamic Vinegar
Good Quality Olive Oil
2 Spring Onions, cliced
1) Mix a tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar with around four tablespoons of oil (taste and adjust accordingly).
2) Mix the onion, tomatoes and beetroot with the dressing and season.
3) Place in a baking tray in a preheated over (180C) and roast for 45mins-1 hour. You want the red onion to be soft but still have a slight crunch.
4) Meanwhile, flake the mackerel into generous chunks and chop the spring onions.
5) When roasted, let the veg cool slightly (you could chill it and use it cold the next day).
6 )Mix the mackerel, spring onion and half of the parsley through and adjust seasoning.
7) Sprinkle on remaining parsley.
Demijohn is a 'liquid deli' stocking an amazing range of liqueurs, oils and vinegars to name a a few. Visit them at 32 Victoria Street, Edinburgh, EH1 2JW